Monday, March 3, 2008

No small thing

In the Old Testament, Moses says, "Does it seem a small thing to you that the God of Israel has chosen you from among all the people of Israel to be near him?" (Numbers 16:9a)

Does it seem a small thing? Six words can pack a punch.

There's a framed sheet of paper hanging on my wall that essentially says when I look at the world, I'll see it through the lens of reformed theology. And guess what? I trivialize the sovereignty of God all the time. Does it seem a small thing? To trivialize the extravagant and costly love of God. To trivialize the reality that I am a daughter of the King. To trivialize the nearness of Jesus Christ. That is no small matter.

The chorus of an ancient hymn best summarizes my thoughts:

My Lord, I did not choose you, for that could never be
My heart would still refuse you, had you not chosen me

To be chosen by God is no small thing. It means He loved you first. It means He still does. It means He always will.

And if you don't know if you are chosen by God and if your heart is in any way inclined toward Him, it means He's running after you right now with a love unlike anything you have every known. It's no small thing to say 'yes' to God. But when you encounter the real Jesus, you will never look back.

2 comments:

michael said...

To have been chosen - it is quite an honor indeed.

Great post Karin.

Amanda Lomonaco said...

Karin, you should really look into getting paid for your writing. Maybe you could be a contributor to Christian Women Today or some other Christian magazine. Something. You are awesome and I love the way you think and write and all that.

I am praying for you!!