Friday, August 5, 2011

The curse of overthinking

A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. It's only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.
So says Steven Pressfield, author of Do the Work: overcome resistance and get out of your own way. My uncle recommended this book to me based on my last post and now I very much regret that I did not use the word malaise instead of funk. But isn't that just like life? Precisely when you need the very thing that will both describe and help you get out of the very pit you are in, the word escapes you. Because it is a French word. And my primary (only) language is English.

I would love to say that I am cursed by a big brain, but I am not. But I can most assuredly say I am cursed by overthinking and therefore doubt and hesitation. It is the three-headed monster, I tell you. A triumvirate of personal demolition. And I do not think it is by accident that this book arrived on my doorstep this evening. So I am very much looking forward to this weekend. I see this book, Starbucks, a comfy chair, and a thick jacket--because the temperature inside that shop is positively ridiculous--in my future. And then I will be incredibly motivated to do all sorts of soul-enriching work which we all know I won't do, but hopefully you'll get a blog out of it at least.

No comments: